Sunday, March 23, 2008

Back to the 17th century -- Colonial Williamsburg

Colonial Williamsburg is a historic town in Williamsburg, Virginia which preserves the history from the 17th century.
It has the historic buildings from over 200 years back; the Capitol, the Governor's palace, the courthouse, taverns, Parish church, etc. There is a chain of historic buildings and sites on the Duke of Gloucester street which has the Capitol on one end and the ancient College of William and Mary on the other. You will see the local people dressed up in colonial wear who reenact various events from the ancient times like the shaving of the sheep and various such interactive events. They also have colonial Williamsburg costume rentals.
On my visit to Williamsburg, I started searching for street names and then realized that I have to travel 200 years back in time. There is a show called "The story of the Patriot" at the ticketing center which gives a lot of information about the history of America. There are Ghost tours at night!! I wonder how that would have been as I couldn't wait that long. There was a beautiful art museum having various exhibits with guns, furniture, silverware, pictures from ancient times, memories of George Washington and the Rockefeller family.
Its quite a unique experience to go back in time. I am amazed by the way they have maintained everything till date. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wanna go for Ghost Tour :-)

Visit my site to find out how to increase traffic in your blog

http://www.uploadtherevolution.blogspot.com

Deepa Vinodhan said...

I wanted to go for it too, sadly had to leave :(

Is it the traffic Storm that your talking about??